Purchasing Assistant (Houston, TX)
Merfish Pipe & Supply and United Pipe & Steel are the two premiere master distributors of standard pipe products in the U.S. In 2019, both companies unified under Merfish Pipe Holdings to offer the most expansive line of standard pipe and related products and access to those products through the largest master distribution network in the country.
We are searching for an individual with strong customer service skills to join our purchasing team. The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent communication skills and be skilled in Microsoft Excel. The Purchasing Assistant will report to the Purchasing Manager and the Vice President of Purchasing and will be responsible for assisting other members of the purchasing staff.
Please **CLICK HERE** to email your resume. Include the job title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Reviews purchase orders, vendor documents including MTR’s (material test report) for completeness, accuracy and compliance per specifications.
- Reconciles vendor invoices for payment approval under letter of credit or cash against documents.
- Requests discharge surveys and provides surveyor with necessary documents.
- Reviews open Purchase Orders and solicits production/shipping updates from vendors.
- Expedites orders to help meet production and shipment deadlines.
- Communicates with vendors to request amended documents including MTR requests.
- Provides shipping advice and updates to branches and customers.
- Communicates with other departments regarding PO status.
- Maintains shipment dates and order comments in Excel.
- Prepares vessel files and sends required documentation to customers, sales department and Inventory Control.
- Sends requests for trucking services to carriers and provides necessary logistics documents.
- Assists other members of the Purchasing Staff with various administrative tasks and performs other duties as assigned.
- Operate and maintain the system updated – SAP or P21
- Creates and maintains purchase orders.
- Prepares reports and responds to information requests from department managers, vendors, etc.
- Verifies confirmations to keep PO status up to date.
Requires an Associate’s degree, or acceptable to meet the competency requirements of education or experience.
Experience in or knowledge of Purchasing preferred. Purchasing experience may substitute for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- SAP or Prophet 21 knowledge (ERP)
- Microsoft Excel knowledge (advanced – intermediate level, work with Pivot tables, charts and formulas).
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Outlook knowledge.
- Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies and/or precedents. Moderate analytic ability is required in applying guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as invoices, packing lists, bill of ladings, and material test reports.
- Ability to speak and write in English is required. Ability to speak effectively before vendors or employees.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to adopt and live up to the company’s Core Values of Integrity, Service, Respect, Gratitude and Environmental responsibility.
- Team Oriented. Creates productive relationships and works with leadership team to achieve common goals.
- Strong planning and organization skills to make effective use of resources.
- Strong attention to detail and has the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Calm demeanor – able to manage stressful situations and diffuse issues in a fast paced and time sensitive environment.
- Knowledge of warehouse operations a plus.
- Coachable and able to follow direction.
- Ability to speak Hindi, Arabic, Thai, Korean or Mandarin Chinese is a plus.
Please **CLICK HERE** to apply and email your resume.